Commute Cost Calculator
Did you know the average American spends $9,859 per year on their car?1 Did you know this is the equivalent of a $135,000 mortgage?! Transportation is the second largest expense for American households.2
The Walk Score Commute Cost Calculator helps you understand the cost in dollars and time of your commute.
Here are our assumptions:
- Cost per mile: We assume an average cost per mile of 69 cents.
- This cost is based on an average of 12,000 miles driven per year.
- Cost per mile includes fuel, maintenance, tires, insurance, license and taxes, depreciation, and financing.
- Our cost per mile is based on data from AAA.
- Workdays per month: We assume there are 21.67 workdays in an average month.
- 260 weekdays in a year / 12 months = 21.67.
- We assume a trip to and from work each day.