Protect Yourself From Fraud and Scams
Scammers sometimes use apartment listings to try to trick you into sending them money or giving up your personal information.
If you see a suspicious listing on Walk Score, click the "Report bad listing" link and we'll investigate the listing right away.
Avoid Getting Scammed
Craigslist has an excellent guide on how to avoid getting scammed. Here are the highlights:
- Deal locally with people you can meet in person.
- Do not wire funds via Western Union or another wire service.
- Beware of fake cashier checks and money orders (banks will cash these and then hold you responsible when they discover it is fake).
- Never rent an apartment without seeing the interior.
- Do not give out financial information or submit to a credit or background check until you have met the landlord in person.
Who To Notify About Frauds and Scams
- If you see a fraudulent listing on Walk Score, immediately click the "Report listing" link to notify us.
- Submit a complaint to the Internet Fraud Complaint Center.
- Submit a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns about rental fraud.