I have to say, I was pretty shocked by reading the first review. I have been a resident here for over a year and a half and have found the building to be clean and well-managed. There are certainly homeless people in the neighborhood but I have never had any trouble with them.
I do not know what is worse: the shady management (Art Moore), the drunk homeless people wandering into the always open back door of the building, or the million cockroaches that infested the place! I chose the Zindorf because of the very convenient downtown location and the seemingly reasonable rent. At the time, I really wanted to move downtown as soon as possible for work, and thus I made the biggest mistake of my life. The night I moved in, I saw over a dozen cockroaches go flying into the walls when I turned on the light switch. Art had assured me that the Zindorf has never had a bug issue when I inquired PRIOR to moving in. For three months, I tried desperately to rid my apartment of cockroaches. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE. I spent over $50 on roach baits and roach foggers and maintenance repeatedly roach "bombed" my apartment with no stopping the cockroaches. When I spoke with my fellow tenants, over 50% of them had roaches in their apartments! The tenants mentioned that management had done nothing about the roaches when they complained, other than ineffectively “bomb” their apartment. Art refused to let me out of my lease, and I had no choice but to complain to the City of Seattle Code Enforcement Department. The City of Seattle had already received cockroach complaints from tenants of the Zindorf apartments, and my complaint was the straw that the broke the camel’s back. This time, the City ordered the Zindorf to have the entire building treated. When I was finally allowed to leave, Art refunded me absolutely no money and was incredibly angry with me for complaining to the City. During my stay at the Zindorf, all my friends and family were even scared to visit me due to the roaches and bums. There was even grafitti scrawled on the back door which read “good crack sold here”. My life-saving advice to you is to stay as far away from this place as you possibly can. It is beyond a shady, unsafe, and uninhabitable place to live.