I lived there for 1 year..... In that time we were there we had to have the fridge replaced 3 times. Each time it was a hassle to get them to replace the fridge. It took them 3 days each time which I feel is an unacceptable amount of time. Then last fall we had a leaky shower I had told management about this problem but instead of fixing it they just ignored it. That turned into the shower not being able to be shut off, causing our neighbors to have no hot water. I had called them multiple times about this issue. They finally fixed it 3 days later. I contacted the manager to figure why our shower still was not fixed 3 days later and his response was a miscommunication between myself and the staff. Now I am currently waiting on my security deposit back from them 45+ days later. I would never live in this place again
My roommate and I moved here our last year in college because we would be close to school in a nice neighborhood. We are graduating in May and both have gotten jobs in the area. We have already renewed our lease for another year because we really like it here. We have a good sized apartment with a new kitchen for much less than the other apartment complexes around. The rent is not too high and includes the heat. The staff has done a great job with snow plowing, especially last winter when it never seemed to stop snowing. They were out plowing in the early morning hours so that we could get to school and work on time. There are a lot of apartments here but they are spread out so its not noisy and with this many apartments they have a lot of Maintence people. We plan to live here until we either buy something or leave Buffalo. We love the fitness center! We can use it 24 hours...and its secure with a card access!
Lived there one year and didn't renew my lease because of black mold in my bathroom that took many trips to fix over a 3 month period. The apartments are muggy & stuffy my basement flooded 90% of the time and I also found rodent droppings under my kitchen sink the staff isn't the greatest and lastly they take unnecessary money out of your security deposit!
I had 4 different types of TOXIC MOLD in my apartment at Campus Manor. I had a damaged wall in my bathroom from a leak above. Management sent a handyman out that proceeded to SPRAY AEROSOL OVER A 5 to 6 sq. ft. area of FUZZY MOLD. SPRAY PAINT?? I placed a call to the property manager and nicely asked her if she could stop over to my apartment to see the condition of my bathroom. In addition to the damaged wall, MY BATHROOM WREAKED OF MOLD SMELL, THE TOILET IN THE UNIT ABOVE FLOODED MY BATHROOM AGAIN (for the second time), and I HAD FREAKING WORMS CRAWLING OUT OF THE DAMAGED WALL INTO MY SHOWER STALL! THE PROPERTY MANAGER TOLD ME SHE "WASN'T UP TO WALKING ACROSS THE PROPERTY." I offered to pick her up and she declined. I HAD TO PAY TO HAVE THE WALL TESTED FOR MOLD- SINCE CAMPUS MANAGEMENT COMPLETELY DISMISSED MY CONCERNS. The Campus Manor maintenance superintendent went as far as to tell me that I was "wasting my time" having the mold tested. I was told by the property manager, "toxic mold is typically only found down south." Results of that testing identified 2 types of dangerous TOXIC MOLD in the damaged wall. STACHYBOTRYS and CHAETOMIUM molds, both of which are capable of producing HIGHLY TOXIC GASES WHICH ARE CALLED MYCOTOXINS. I then asked management to have a professional air quality test performed in my unit as a safeguard. Management did have the air tested- ONLY PROBLEM IS- THEY REFUSE TO PROVIDE ME WITH THE TEST RESULTS!!! Out of my distrust for management, I too had an air quality test performed. In that test, 2 MORE TOXIC MOLDS were identified in my living space. ASPERGILLUS/ PENICILLIUM type molds were present. These molds were in my living space due to incompetent management sending unqualified and improperly trained handymen to remediate the toxic mold in my apartment. I had to breathe toxic mold spores for 3 1/2 months thanks to their handy work. All together, I was exposed to 4 DIFFERENT TOXIC MOLDS in my apartment during my stay at Campus Manor. I twice requested a copy of the company protocol for dealing with mold. I asked on several occasions to be provided with the credentials/ qualifications of the maintenance staff regarding mold recognition and remediation. THESE REQUESTS WENT COMPLETELY IGNORED BY MANAGEMENT. There are complaints of mold and written warnings from the Erie Co. Dept, of Health that date back to 2002. Yet, in 2009, Campus Manor still did not have a comprehensive plan and did not follow any of the recommended industry safety standards regarding mold remediation in my unit. THEY TOOK SHORT CUTS AT MY EXPENSE. Management refuses to be accountable for their actions. I have received nothing but excuses, evasiveness, minimizing, and downplaying from them. They have let me know that I will need to pursue litigation in order to be compensated for mold testing, medical testing, replacement of my contaminated belongings, my time and inconvenience, or even the disgusting condition I had to endure in my bathroom. The basement in my building on Maple Ct. was SO BAD (mold and sewage smells, insects that are SCARY) I could have filmed an episode of Wild Kingdom down there. Enter at your own risk and don't store anything down there that you want to keep. In my experience, management was absolutely incompetent and shady. Their lack of concern, accountability, and compassion is disturbing. I took good care of my apartment, and the mold was through no fault of my own. I haven't received any of my security deposit back. I had to give a 1 star rating because this website would not let me give 0 stars as I would have preferred. MY ADVICE TO YOU- RUN LIKE HELL AWAY FROM THIS NASTY PLACE!!! WHEN RUNNING ON THIS PROPERTY, BE CAREFUL NOT TO STEP IN DOG Sh*T!!! RENT INCREASED $65 IN 1 YEAR- $90 IF YOU DON"T RE- UP YOUR LEASE. NOT WORTH IT!!! Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Don't make the same mistake I did- unless you're planning a career in environmental microbiology.
Ive been here a long time and the place looks better and better every year! The office is very responsive to any questions or repair requests. This is a great location and you cannot beat the price. They pay for the heat and I keep my place TOASTY!