The original Sears building built in 1910 was the first Sears warehouse built outside of Chicago. This Distribution Center became an anchor for the Southwest Territory and a successful icon in Dallas.
Over the years, the Sears Catalog Merchandise Center underwent many renovations, first expanding in 1913 with an adjoining nine-story building. This expansion is, today, the oldest remaining portion of the original South Side on Lamar property. Subsequent improvements followed in 1925, when a new two-story structure became Sears' third retail store. Later additions and wings came in 1929 and 1966. The building is now 1.2 million square feet and spans a city block.
In its heyday, the Sears building employed over 1,000 employees and had many patrons visit the retail store. On April 30, 1993 the Dallas location of the Sears Catalog Merchandise Center processed and shipped its last order and closed its doors.
Matthews Southwest purchases the Sears Dallas Catalog Merchandise Center in 1997 and begins plans for the South Side neighborhood. South Side on Lamar emerges from the Sears, Roebuck & Co.’s Catalog Merchandise Center. The building is designated a National Historic Landmark in 1999. In this same year, MSW donates land across the street from South Side on Lamar for construction of the new Jack Evans Police Headquarters.
After three years of extensive renovations, vision and passion; life came back to the neighborhood as South Side on Lamar, a loft conversion, opened its doors to its first residents. Since then South Side's residents have left their mark and became a part of the building's history, story and future.
In addition to the numerous commercial and retail clients that relocated to the South Side area, the neighborhood family continues to expand with the opening of The Jack Evans Police Headquarters and Gilley's Dallas in 2003. Popular music performance venue, Poor David's Pub, relocates to the area in 2004. Bills Records moves to South Side in 2007. New restaurants Cedars Social (2011) and Full Circle Tavern (2013) open for business. South Side gets its first boutique hotel. The NYLO Hotel Dallas South Side welcomes its first guest in 2012. New residents came to the neighborhood with the opening of The Belleview in 2014. An eight screen Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is under construction at the corner of S. Lamar St. and Cadiz. Opening early fall 2015. The South Side Flats development will be a 290 unit apartment and retail community opening in the summer 2015.
Media Center/Movie Theatre
Property Manager on Site
Pet Play Area
Car Wash Area
High Speed Internet Access
Wheelchair Accessible (Rooms)