I was first living in 2907 i loved it, we had one mouse running through our apartment but it was ok, we ended up catching it, we didnt think anything if a mouse infestation because it was winter time of course you'll see a mouse or two. But we moved to another complex building. 6320... Boy oh boy!!! There is NO SERVICE. None what so ever!! The first week we moved in the gas stove wouldnt turn off. The eye on the stoves literally wouldnt turn off no matter which way we turned the nobs, we had to call the fire department to turn the gas off and they detected a level six of carbon monoxide and i have a one year old that resides in my home. get me started on the mice infestation that they have!! I killed about 5 mice this week. The more i catch the bigger they are. When i thought i caught them all, as i was laying down in the living room, i seen ANOTHER mouse today it ran came back and when i made a sudden move...... It ran into the vent thats in the wall!! So you would only imagine if we screw the vent off, of how many mice will be win that vent! We put in a request for pest control maybe about 6 times, and they came only twice. Once at the old apartment and once at the new apartment. I cant wait to move out if here. Hopefully before the summer is over we will be moved into our new home. I love the people in the front office. La'Tonya, Erica && Steve. They are just the best. Anything you need you can definitely go to them. I can honestly say the only thing i will miss about living there is being able to go to the office and bother them all day! Whatever problems you might have come here or staying here its not their fault, its maintenance fault!
This is the worst place in the world to live. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF the trouble and the money this place is not worth it at all. I moved in with my mom and my 4yr old son. It has been a headache since day one After bing here for only a week out bathroom ceiling fell through. It looked as if there was toilet falling out of the sky. It took the maintanence two weeks to fix the ceiling. After the ceiling wa fixed the refridgerator went out and a months worth of food went bad. I called and did not receive a phone call back until the next day. Since then my refridgerator has gone bad another two times and its not working at this point either. The knob in the bathroom tub broke and I could not turn my water off . Maintanence did fix that for three days my water was running for 3 DAYS!!!!!!! I have never had so many problems with a place that I have only been in for 6months The management team are even worst the never respond to the issues your having they get extremly nasty with you when you bring a complaint to them but if you refuse to pay the rent they threaten you with eviction notices. I cannot wait for this lease to be done with I am not renewing I would never recommend this place to my worst enemy. IT SUCKS TO LIVE IN WILLOWBROOK!!!!!!! I wouldn't evenrate this place they would get a negative 100!!!!! from me and my family
I read the previous reviews and i must disagree. I currently live here and maybe it's because i dont live on the ground floor (live on the 3rd) like some of the people who complained lived, but i like it. It's very quiet, i only have one nieghbor who i can hear, other than that, nothing. Laundry room is nice, and every time i do need maintenace, they come right out. Usualy same day or next day. Same when i had an issue with my mailbox key. Now it is true that the bathrooms have no outlets and the appliances are a little outdated, but its comfortable and it makes do. I only need an outlet in the bathroom to do my hair, and i have a vanity for that so no need. Before i moved in, the rental office let me see the model they had in the office, but also the potential apartment i would be moving in so there would be no suprises. Actually, I saw two and was able to look at the differences. Good Luck.
My final decision after 5 years of living here goes like this. We lived in 2 Apts which were both on the terrace level. 1st is poor level of service. There were many issues besides the flooding and ancillary fees. Maintenance and management failed to return calls on dozens of serious situations one that led to our Apt to be unlivable. Maintenance used crude language in front of us and put down the owners blaming them. 2nd, Horrible nasty ugly huge cave crickets, mice and recluse spiders. YES RECLUSE or HOBO spiders (can be deadly). I have pictures of one nearly the size of my palm. Yes they do have decent pricing for the size of the Apts and a nice pool, But the extra fees and general deterioration of the buildings are not worth it. We used to have storage and when that was taken away we were pretty sure we wanted out. If you are a person who doesn't mind outdoor creatures sharing your food and space, and don't mind cleaning up there droppings, If you are a person who doesn't mind general poor service when fixing is needed than you found your place. One more thing, whatever the rent is add 10-20% more per invoice in fluctuating fees. Class Action law suit may be what is needed to keep people safe living here. Friend me if you feel the same. I am pursuing something now.
To Whom It May Concern, I have been a resident here for a little over one year, and overall, it is a good experience. However, yesterday a bunch of our cars were towed due to extremely poor notification. I never saw a sign posted on the main door. After being rudely spoken to in the office, I checked the front doors of the buildings, and one sign in small black ink on dark red paper was posted in the corner. It's hard to even read what it says. While picking up my car for $300 I asked the towing attendant about the amount of cars that were towed from Willowbrook. He said, and I quote, "So many that it's making my head spin". If that many cars were towed, then someone in management did not do an adequate job of informing the residents.